Monday, January 28, 2013

Style Imitating Art Time!



Young Corn, Grant Wood
Oil on Masonite board, 1931
It's Monday and that means Style Imitating Art, y'all! I really enjoyed the playfulness of this painting and of course the varying shades of green (because in my world, green is a neutral and every color looks good with it). But, mostly it made me yearn for summer. When I put the outfit together I used a top I haven't worn since summer and a dress I bought with spring in mind. It made me realize how long ago summer was and how far away spring still is. I miss sunny days and green, rolling hills dotted with trees and corn fields. 

This winter has been bleak, guys. Instead of giant piles of white snow that are just ripe for snow balls and snow forts, we have yards full of mud and dead grass. Instead of quiet, peaceful flurries, we are slipping around on freezing rain. Yuck.

And since spring doesn't really grace Wisconsin until April, this is going to be a tough few months. But until then, here is a little glimpse of what could be.

Cardigan - Target, Shirt - Torrid, Dress - Target, Belt - Target, Tights - Walmart, Shoes - Goodwill








While my husband was taking the pictures he kept giving me a funny look and I said, "What? Does it look weird?" The look deepened. So, I said, "Well, I don't know how it looks. Give me some direction!"

This is what happened.


I'm an airplane.

12 comments:

  1. You look truly lovely in this outfit, the colours are amazing on you. I like the direction your husband gave you haha, airplane!!

    Janine xx
    BakeGlueandTrend
    Giveaway Post >>> bakeglueandtrend.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/love-dress-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I discovered that this particular shade of green was "my color" a few years ago and now it's one of my favorite colors.

      Delete
  2. That lace dress is amazing! And of course, your cardigan is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have a huge weakness for anything lace and anything green. When I saw this dress I literally could not resist it. Then, when I saw the painting for this week I was glad I didn't!

      Delete
  3. I was checking out the Style Imitating Art photos on "The Animated Cardigan" and had to pop over and tell you how much I love your outfit! I am a chronic dress and cardi wearer, and I love how you layered the two different sweaters, one belted and one not. You also brought a ton of different textures into the look with the lace, belt, and flowers on the cardigan. Love it!

    And you're lucky your husband tolerates the photo shoots long enough for it to devolve into you posing like an airplane. I'm lucky if I get one decent shot just standing in a normal (boring) pose. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so sweet. Thank you! The second top underneath the sweater is actually a sheer tank top. I love the layered look it gives but there is absolutely no extra bulk, which is great! I am totally addicted to textures and I love when I can cram this much into one outfit!

      My husband normally doesn't have this much patience with me but, he was being nice because my tripod went missing and I was really sad, lol.

      Delete
  4. Awww, you look SO springy! That's quite an accomplishment when it's a Wisconsin winter you gotta work with. haha

    I love the different shades of green and textures you mixed. It makes a very interesting and cute outfit! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was really lucky that it was the one really warm day we had when the sun came out and all the snow melted. Of course, the day after that it snowed/rained for three days.

      Delete
  5. what a pretty outfit! i seriously want to steal it. you rocked at choosing just the right elements in the artwork and applying them to your style. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I seriously have SO much fun doing SIA. I don't think I would have ever thought of using this top in this way and now I'm like, "duh!" I will be wearing this outfit quite regularly. :)

      And I hope to see you some more in SIA!

      Delete
  6. I really love this dress! Everything comes together so well in this outfit. It's perfection :)

    ReplyDelete