Wednesday, October 3, 2012

DIY Skirt

I am so please with this one guys! Months ago I found this skirt tutorial and I fell in love with it. I was itching to try it recently and was going to propose to Husband that we go to the Joann Fabrics to get some material. But then, I ventured to the basement to get out some old material for Hudson's birthday and I stumbled across a plethora of material I bought for my portfolio show at school. I bought three different kinds of fabric for the table and then stashed them away. I hit the fabric gold mine!



I loved the playfulness of this fabric, and I can't turn down anything mustard yellow. So, I know this was the perfect fabric to use for this skirt. 


I pieced all the other supplies together using leftover materials from other projects. I used a bright neon yellow fabric for the liner and just used the wrong side to hide the color. For the waistband, I used a patterned brown ribbon I found and the only thing I actually had to buy was the zipper. All the materials were bought from Michaels and Joann Fabrics.

I had some trouble with the pattern because she doesn't tell you clearly how to figure out what each piece should be for your measurements. I just sat down and figured it out using a store bought skirt as a model and myself as a dress form.



I was nervous about the fit and the hem. I didn't know if I had enough experience to do either one properly but it turned out great. It drives me crazy that I can see the ribbon from the waistband poking out and I will be hand sewing that down all the way around when I have some free time.

All in all, the skirt cost me a whopping $1.50. But, Husband pointed out that I should estimate the cost of all the materials because I won't always have a treasure trove of fabrics at my fingertips. So, in that case, I used two yard of fabric, a spool of thread, a spool of fabric ribbon, and one zipper. A total estimated cost of  $28.50. Still, not to bad.



4 comments:

  1. Absolutely Fabulous! What an eye for style you have! I love finding hidden treasures!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so much! I as so excited to find all this fabric. I totally forget I had it!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks! For my first attempt, I am very pleased :)

      Delete