Friday, June 17, 2016

Strawberry Jam | Picnic Pretties Mood Board


Welcome to the second installment of my mood board inspiration series! For summer, I have been feeling the breezy, Americana, kitschy, vintage vibes of picnics and cookouts. All those slow and simple days in summer when all you need is good company, cold drinks, and the snack of your choice. Whether your lounging on a blanket, grilling in your backyard, or breaking for lunch during a road trip, it always feels like stepping back into your childhood when summer was endless and nothing could touch you.










I was inspired by Kristina's recent post about being a pin-up on a budget to go full on kitchy retro for this look. There was no holding back with this first picnic look! I started with these strawberry print dresses for me and my best girl and I actually made mine myself! I used the Lilou dress pattern from the book Love at First Stitch. As it was my first attempt at making a dress, I followed the author's recommendation and made a "working toile" which is a wearable test garment. The fabric was sourced from thrifted bedding and it took all the pressure off making mistakes. There are definite adjustments to be made the next time and steps where I certainly need to refine my skills, but that's the benefit of it being a test garment. For now I'm immensely proud of making a dress that is actually wearable!

I went a little nutso adding red, retro accessories because on this day I wanted to be the picture of a picnic pin-up and I loved it! My favorite bit is the strawberry jam brooch from Erstwilder. It's just right for topping off a strawberry print dress and actually prompted our food choices for the evening. I've always thought picnics needed specially prepared food like some kind of six course meal on a blanket. But, all we packed was bread, sausage, cheese, and some fancy jam. As a mom, it was so relaxing not having to dish and serve and force children to sit with plates. We just sliced and spread as we pleased and everyone had fun building different sandwiches from the simple ingredients. I have got to say...goat cheese and jam sandwiches...divine. Why is it that the simple things in life leave the sweetest imprint?

Let me know in the comments what your favorite summer time foods are!









Dress: Made by Me (Dress Pattern Here) | Belt: Target (similar, similar in plus) | Shoes: Thrifted (similar) | Headscarf: Thrifted (similar) | Brooch: Erstwilder | Lips: Anastasia Beverly Hills in Spicy

No comments:

Post a Comment