Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Take Me to the Candy Shop #4 | Inspired + Outfit



There was a personal tragedy in my family this week that has left some of my loved ones completely devastated and the rest of us in shock and scrambling to help in a helpless situation. You can see the full story on their Go Fund Me page. It's all I can think about these last few days and instead of trying to come up with cheerful things to say, I just want to remind all of you to be grateful for everything you have because it can be lost in a second. It's hard to remember that on days when your house is trashed and the kids are screaming and you just want to get in the car and drive as far away as possible but the little pieces of your home, your nest, are the tangible comforts, love, and memories that you fill your life with. Treasure them because they are not a guarantee.







Like my clothing, it's a collection like any other collection. I don't display it on shelves or in cases, but I do curate it, hunt down desirable items, and form connections to every piece. It's not a collection of pricey knick-knacks or valuable memorabilia but it is definitely the same thing. Losing it would mean years of lost effort and love. These shorts, for example. They're just shorts to some but to me they are the long-awaited high waisted, vintage inspired shorts that actually look good on me. I searched for years for shorts like these and every attempt looked more like mom jorts than cute pin-up girl. Everything in my closet has a similar story. Whether it was a long hunt or an unexpected treasure, each piece is special.

I know everyone can come up with bunches of things they would be heartbroken to lose and I think that's why the community response to this tragedy has been a sweeping show of support. That's the glimmer in the heartache. Your family, town, friends, co-workers, heck, people you've only met once or have never met at all, they are your community and it's wonderful to know how much we love each other.








Cardigan: Thrifted (similar) | Shirt: Thrifted (similar) | Short: Maurices (similar in plus) | Tights: Target | Shoes: Tom's | Scarf: Kohl's (similar) | Lips: Colourpop Ultra Matte Liquid Lipstick in Donut

No comments:

Post a Comment