Friday, October 28, 2016

Witchy Woman | Outfit


This is the dress that consumed my life for weeks and weeks. Last fall when the Through the Bluebells Dress first popped up on Modcloth, I didn't get it. It had all the elements of boho or hippie chic that isn't my particular brand of style. I had no vision! But, after seeing it on several girls with similar body shapes to mine I was starting to see the magic. And if I can be frank for a moment, it was the boobs. Big boobs look incredible in that dress. Then someone said it made her feel like Florence + the Machine and I immediately got the fever. My view of the dress instantly changed and I could see perfectly how, in the right context, boho chic can cross over from hippie to witchy with a little sprinkle of Florence Welsh and a dash of Stevie Nicks.

Unfortunately for me, apparantly everyone else felt the fever too because it was no where to be found on Ebay, Poshmark, or Facebook BST's. I even had some wonderful friends on the hunt for me, but sadly it just wasn't going to happen and any similar dress was a pale comparison to the drama and the fit of the mythical Through the Bluebells.

Then the gods of love and fashion bestowed this sewing pattern upon me. It needed some modification, but it had the extreme bell sleeves and even the extra ruffle of flounce at the bottom just like the Bluebells dress. I felt confidant in my ability to switch out the bodice and waistband for something closer to the origianl inspiration and rayon fabric with a colorful floral print on a black background was easy enough to find. Everything was going so well!






But, alas, that time of innocence could not last. I was confidant, but I should not have been. Modifying the dress left gaps in the pattern that I did not have knowledge to fill and I had to go back to my former style of sewing that involves sewing with one eye open because I have no idea what's coming out the other end and I'm afraid to find out. I was simply not prepared for the slippery, slide-y, shifty beast that is rayon. There are so many problems with this dress (mostly hidden) because this liquid fabric was a whole new concept to my cotton loving self.

I toiled away for days and days. I sewed seams and then I ripped them back out again. I cut out new pieces after working the old ones to death. I cursed at Glinda, my sewing machine, and then kissed and caressed her to calm her down again.






It was, no doubt, an adventure. The outcome and my oath to not touch rayon again for a very long time made all the time and work a satisfying experience because yes, I absolutely feel Florence and Stevie walking with me in this stunning dress.

I feel so accomplished being able to hang another dream dress in my closet knowing that this one was crafted by my own hand. Now, if only I could find the perfect velvet, fringed shawl...

Tell me in the comments if you've ever dramatically changed your mind on a style of clothing and how you made it fit for you!



Dress: made by me (pattern, fabric, similar dress in straight sizes, similar dress in plus) | Tights: We Love Colors | Boots: Thrifted (similar) | Hat: Target (similar) | Lips: Colourpop Ultra Matte Liquid Lipstick in Tulle

No comments:

Post a Comment