Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Mixing Casual with Vintage | Outfit


There are approximately 548 ways to style a basic grey tee. Go ahead. Google it. Pinterest it. I'll wait.

They're everywhere on the internet style hubs, am I right? I've come to associate them with the cool, casual, effortless air of street style. The kind of style that makes bed head, over-sized everything, and plain basics look impossibly modern and chic. The kind of style that does not want you to sit with it at lunch.

While I can admire that type of style - from afar - it's more like being at a museum with giant signs saying, "DO NOT TOUCH THE EXHIBITS" as it is so dramatically different than my own style or even the average style of the region I live in.




When I thrifted this pleated skirt a couple of weeks ago wasn't sure how to style it in the interim of me deciding it's fall and September catching up to my decision, I took to the internet for inspirantion and Pinterest was very clear in it's commandment. Wear it with a grey tee. Which makes a lot of sense because pleated skirts are quite trendy right now and there's nothing that street style does better than trendy. I was definitely attracted to the juxtaposition of the laid-back style mixed with the hyper feminine skirt and I knew I was going to give it a shot in spite of it's street style origins.

When I put the outfit together I felt instantly cool. I could have fit right into a google search for "fashion blogger." But as this is a style blog, why stop there? I wanted to prove that this easy, casual style could reflect my personal eclectic, retro style while still maintaining the easy, chic vibe that's so popular right now.







The best way for me to achieve this was to mix in some signature markers of my own style. A bold lipstick because I'm very comfortable with dark, edgy lips and they jive well with the look as is. A headscarf for that retro, thrifted touch. I'm absolutely sure there is no outfit that doesn't benefit from a headscarf. They're niche enough to set you apart, but almost everyone seems to enjoy the funky, stylish quality it has. I get many compliments while sporting a headscarf no matter what the rest of the outfit is. And finally, a vintage novelty brooch for oddity. But, I opted for my pirate ship brooch to add whimsy without the cuteness and I rather enjoyed the masculine edge it had.

Overall, I was very happy with the outcome and even wore it twice in one week. I officially deem the grey tee an acceptable basic for any style. Let the rejoicing commence!




Skirt: Thrifted (similar and similar vintage finds, similar is straight sizes, similar in plus ) | Shirt: Target (similar in plus) | Brooch: Vintage (similar) | Shoes: Target (similar) | Lips: Jeffree Star Velour Liquid Lipstick in Unicorn Blood (similar)

No comments:

Post a Comment