Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Sometimes I Just Don't Know What to Call These Things


Do any of you know what sciatica is? Well, if you don't, lucky you. It's inflammation of the sciatic nerve that causes a lot of pain. Your sciatic nerve starts on your lower spine, or in other words, your butt, and travels along your leg. I got sciatica from my pregnancies and every once in a while it still flares up. I'm pretty sure it's hereditary because the same thing happens to my mom.

This dress is so comfortable. It's a nice A-line that camouflages but, doesn't add extra volume and the swiss dot detailing on top is sweet.

The blouse is billowy with an adorable owl pattern and it is the first thing I ever saw from Dorothy Perkins. I knew she and I would get along at first sight.

Some days, my sciatic nerve will throb all day long and I can literally trace my nerve down my thigh, around my knee, down my shin, and into my foot. Other days, it will go from 0 to dropping me to my knees in a half a second. I'm not kidding. I'll be walking along all normal like and out of nowhere, my whole leg will seize up from stabbing, screaming pain. The only thing that has saved me from falling flat on my face thus far is the convenience of well placed furniture.


Yesterday my husband came home from work to find me down the basement sitting in a pile of laundry. All he had to say was, "Sciatic nerve?" The pile of laundry had been the closest thing to me when my leg seized up and it was all I could do to lower myself on to the soft, stinky pile. I had been stuck down there for a half hour, browsing the internet on my phone, to afraid to walk up the steep, rickety basement stairs.

Lips: Revlon Super Lustrous Lipgloss in Peach Petal
Sciatica is like an annoying friend that likes to pop up and pull nasty pranks on you. Everyone gets a good laugh at your expense and you have to let a little bit of your dignity go. It's definitely not the worst thing in the world and sometimes it's a really good excuse to be lazy. But, seriously, I am waiting for the day it makes me fall and smash my face on the floor in front of everyone I know.

This is what I did in this outfit. Arm wrestled my sister in Cousin's.

4 comments:

  1. I only know sciatica from when I was pregnant, and mine definitely was not as bad as yours. It sounds scary how it creeps up on you like that. I wonder if there's a treatment for it.

    The good news is, you look great. I really like the creative way you layered that blouse under the sheer-top dress. Since the blouse is close to your skin tone, I actually thought it was a sheer part of the dress, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm honestly not sure if there is a treatment for it. My mom's is partly caused by a slight deformity at the base of her spine (nothing visible to the naked eye) and I've wondered if I have the same thing since I have such similar symptoms. There would be no treatment for it if that were the case. Even so, it's nothing more than an annoyance. I had just been going through a few bad days and I just felt like whining about it lol.

      Thanks! I looked back at the pictures and the shirt does look sheer when the light shines through it! That's cool!

      Delete
  2. Oh sweetie I am so sorry that you have this. I have only had one bout of it many years ago and I would never want to have it again. Oh I just feel for you so much. On a happy note you look beautiful. Your outfits are so wonderful and I think you are very clever. I think someone would pay big money to have you dress them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww...thank you so much. That's really one of the sweetest things anyone has ever said to me. :) :) :)

      And don't worry! I've been dealing with the sciatica for about three years and after watching my mom live with it I just sort of accept it. There are so many worse things that could happen to someone. Most of the time it's nothing more than an annoyance and we all do have a good laugh about it when I fall.

      Delete