Monday, April 8, 2013

Style Imitating Art Time: Superhero Edition!


I know, right?

SIA couldn't be cooler this week. This is a mixed media piece by Alex Gross featuring Captain America painted over a vintage photograph. Amahzing.

Despite the fact that I am not a nerd at all I have a major lady boner for superhero movies. Of course, my favorites are the Batman movies, any Batman movie. But, I am really into the Avenger movies too. They are exactly what a superhero movie should be. Humorous, action-packed, touches of romance, visually simulating, and full of man candy. Whenever Husband drags me to the newest movie I pretend to put up a fight but really, I can't wait to watch a twenty foot Robert Downing Jr./Chris Hemsworth/Chris Evans prance around on the screen for me. They are very well made movies that don't take themselves too seriously. As opposed to Christopher Nolan turning a comic about a man dressing up as a spandex bat into parables about the fears of modern society and although I love them, it's a little pretentious. I'm just saying.

That's my round about way of saying I was pretty excited to put together a Captain America look for SIA. And I'm sure I'm missing some higher meaning that this piece is converying but, I don't care. Too Excited.

Sweater - Target, Top - Target, Skirt - Target, Tights - Walmart, Socks - Target, Boots - Target, Belt - Asos, Lips - Mac in So Chaud







I was inspired by the typical superhero mask to create a dramatic eye look. I used Maybelline's Color Tattoo in Pomegranate Punk, the dark blue shade in Cover Girl's Tropical Fusion Quad, and the white shade in Bare Minerals The Star Treatment palette as a highlight. I also contoured and highlighted my bone structure to give myself...well any appearance of  bone structure.

No comments:

Post a Comment