Monday, October 5, 2015

Style Imitating Art: Be Kind to Books


Style Imitating Art was in honor of Banned Books week! I loved the graphic nature of this poster and although, I didn't have a lot of blue in my wardrobe to play with, I was really pleased to be able to use my Gatsby sweatshirt. Clearly book themed art needed book themed clothes. I kept the lines of my outfit clean and minimal like the lines in the art and used a mustard colored knit hat to pull out the yellows and oranges in the poster and the sweatshirt. I certainly felt very bookish hitting up our local used bookstore to use as a back drop for the photos.




 The Book Cafe is a dream. It's a quirky little place with piles of books stacked up everywhere on the floor, a maze of rooms winding around the building, and collection of vintage trinkets for sale lined up on top of the shelves. I immediately fell in love and felt embraced by the equally haphazard and curated vibes of the place.






Of course we couldn't leave without picking up a few treasures since everything was half off. I found a few old Beverly Cleary books, including the exact edition of Ramona the Brave my mom owned when she was a kid. Now, that copy is nestled on my daughter's bookshelf, sandwiched between A Little Princess and Anne of Green Gables, growing her beautiful, little collection of classic children's novels by one. Almost all of them have inscriptions from the previous owners and in a few years the joy they brought those little girls will belong to my daughter as well.

And the purse? That was from The Book Cafe too because why wouldn't I find the perfect purse at a used bookstore? Yup. This place was the poo.
Lipstick: Colour Pop Ultra Matte Liquid Lipstick in Tulle

Hat: Target similar, similar | Sweatshirt: Modcloth | Shirt: Husband's Hand-me-down similar | Pants: Maurices | Boots: DSW similar | Bag: Thrifted similar

No comments:

Post a Comment