Thursday, August 25, 2016

Tropical Leaf Print | Outfit


There are many reasons why I like to thrift. It's exceptionally inexpensive, it's thrilling to be on the hunt, and it's possible to find many unique items that appeal to my quirky sense of style. But, the main reason, the thing that makes me happily sort through racks upon racks of discarded clothing, is finding perfect vintage dresses to whirl and twirl away from the store in!




Having a vintage aesthetic can be problematic for building a wardrobe. Either I have to shop for expensive vintage reproductions, wait for trends to swing around to my preferred era, or play scavenger hunt at thrift stores for the items I so dearly hope for. Being plus-sized means that true vintage from the 30's-50's is a very rare find, but as trends do come and go, it's much easier to find vintage inspired rejects from the 80's and 90's that suit my needs. In this case I get the benefits of larger cuts and slightly elasticated fabric, but the print and style make me feel like I should be sipping sidecars at a backyard barbecue in a Palm Spring's tract house.




Am I the only one that creates narratives like that in my head for my clothing? In this dress it's the 1950's and I'm the scandalous divorcee who crashes block parties and gets a thrill from watching the shocked housewives clutch their pearls. I feel imbued with the outgoing and salacious spirit of this fictional woman and I find myself acting accordingly. Does this make my clothing more costume than fashion or am I just pulling out bits and pieces that are already a part of me and indulging in the idea of more dominant traits falling away? Allowing me to become, momentarily, the fully actualized version of myself that could have been.



Dress: Thrifted (similar) | Shoe: DSW (similar) | Lips: Colourpop's Ultra Matte Liquid Lipstick in Pacific

No comments:

Post a Comment